Photobucket

Friday, May 1, 2009

Toad in the Hole

The toads about farm don't seem to mind the rain at all. They've been coming out in droves at night, taunting our puppy to go ahead and take a bite!



Just when we think our pond can't possibly get any closer to our house, it rains again. All three large willow trees, usually loitering casually along the banks of the pond are now firmly entrenched IN the pond. The ground here is very saturated, a fact that causes panic each time the weather forecast predicts, yet again, more rain, especially since we are in dire need of a new septic system.

While we wait for our man to come and take care of our waste troubles, I've slowly grown used to the fact that I'm not in the city any more and can't get all of the laundry done in one day for fear of backing up the plumbing. From the day we signed the papers to buy the old farmhouse, my husband has instilled great fear in me regarding this matter. I admit to being known as one who, in the past, has had the occasional long shower, and really, only every now and then, but it seems to have given my husband enough concern to articulate with finite detail on just how disastrous a bunged up system could be. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say he did a good job. The nightmares seem to have stopped for now and I've learned I really don't need running water to shave my legs after all.

No comments: